The Friends of the Cambridge Public Library are pleased to announce their first annual photography contest: “The Cambridge Public Library: A Place For All Seasons.”
Photographers of all ages are invited to depict any part of the Cambridge Public Library system: buildings (interiors and exteriors), objects, and people, any time of day or night, in sunshine or inclement weather throughout the calendar year. Photographs will be judged primarily on how effectively they portray the theme, “A Place for All Seasons.” It is our hope that the collected works will represent each one of the libraries and all four seasons of the calendar year.
All appropriate photos will be posted on the library’s Flickr website. The first-place-winner will receive a $100 bookstore gift card; second-place winner will receive a $50 gift card, and third-place winner a $25 gift card.
CRITERIA & RULES (Required permission forms are downloadable from the library website.)
- Submissions will be judged primarily on how well they capture the essence of ourlibraries and their users. Secondary judging criteria will include seasonal diversity.
- There is a two photo limit per entrant.
- Entries must include a title and one to three sentences describing the photo(s).
- The entry deadline is midnight October 15th, 2011.
- Digital photos should be submitted to the Friend’s e-mail address: email@example.com. Please include your name, address, and email address in the body of the e-mail.
- Please submit jpegs, not .bmp or .tiff files.
- Size horizontals at 1024px wide and verticals at 500px wide. Set the resolution at 96 dpi (ppi) -- the maximum resolution of a PC; a Mac is 72. No high-resolution photos. Since winning photos may appear in a Friends’ publication, we suggest keeping a copy of submitted photos in a higher resolution suitable for an 8 x 10 color print (300 or 600 dpi).
- If the file is not large enough the image will be printed at a suitable size to ensure a high quality reproduction.
- By submitting photos the photographer agrees to permit the Friends of the Cambridge Public Library to publish the photos on its website, in a calendar or other publication(s) which may be used to raise funds for the libraries.
- By submitting your photo(s) to the Cambridge Public Library, you grant the library a royalty-free license to publicly display, reproduce, and use the photographs in any form or media for any and all editorial and related promotional purposes in perpetuity.
- However, you will retain the copyright to your photo(s). You also warrant that thephoto is your original work, does not violate the copyright or any other personal or property right of any third party, and that you have obtained any and all releases (see two forms below) and permissions necessary for our intended use. Minors must have an adult signature.
More information and forms can be found on the library website.